Friday, April 29, 2011

Thoughts on the Bruins, some tunes

A tiny hiatus has been ceased. I’m back in the blogosphere ready to shed light on nothing particularly important. I mean, what could possibly be newsworthy after that wedding?

I’m overjoyed that the Bruins were able to go out and get one. The people around these parts couldn’t handle another letdown.  A loss would mean finding new coping mechanisms for the masses. I use overjoyed because if the floppers of Montreal advanced it would validate my harsh sentiments toward Gary Bettman. The constant embellishment brings out the worst in the game. It’s fraudulent and has no place in the game. If I wanted to watch diving, I’d watch competitive diving…or European soccer. The diving penalty is no longer part of the game, which is something I don’t understand since it was an integral call in the past. 


Was there any doubt that Bruins-Habs would go seven games? The implications and weight associated with game seven bring ratings -- not to mention a  Bettman wet dream. It was Boston and Montreal, a true original six dream matchup for the NHL. That, combined with fan hatred for each other, creates a recipe for every last drop of hockey.

But it’s on to the Flyers. The Bruins are underdogs and they should be. They’ll have trouble matching their size, offensive depth and power play. The only advantage the Bruins have is goaltending; Tim Thomas must steal a game for them and play on his head. In fact, he is accountable for that because the team has to have it. Here’s the interesting twist about the upcoming series in my view: The Flyers’ trio of goalies have to perform decently and keep them in the game. The Flyers' offense will carry them. So please, Thomas, steal a game and give yourself an opportunity to advance. Your team's power play is not going to throw you a bone.

The Bruins are surprisingly healthy and the Flyers are a little banged up. That said, if the Bruins falter in this series I won’t be surprised given Claude Julien’s inability to adjust during a series. He’s a modern day Bill Belichick. They both can’t seem to make the proper changes in the locker room when it matters most. Indeed, Julien did a better job in the Montreal series (I’m slow to dish out credit to him), but that team is soft. Adjusting to offensive schemes and containing true goal scorers is different than adjusting to a defensive trap and small wingers who create space down the boards. The latter of which wasn’t adjusted until gave seven. Julien will ultimately save his job by advancing to the Eastern Conference Finals. It’s black and white in that regard. Bruins fans need it too, but more for their sanity and patience.

Furthermore, I blame the Bruins for a lack of blogging in the last week. It’s just easier that way since they are usually the sure-handed scapegoat of Boston sports.

There’s not too much else to report. Work is going well thus far. (Hi guys, I know you’re there...well now I do...there will be bark) I know some other people who were recently hired or switched jobs all together, so if I haven’t said congratulations to you, congratulations. New challenges keep this world spinning.

Lastly, I have been listening to a lot of City and Color lately. He’s such a talented guitarist and has a booming voice. His demeanor is perceived as melancholy by many, but I think that’s what happens you take personal stories, convert them to lyrics and condense it into four minutes or so. He alluded to that in an interview at some point, too.



The next concert on the list is Guster at the House of Blues, which is next weekend for the girlfriend’s birthday. I've always posted videos to Facebook and pictures on the blog, so I’ll try to do that again.  I do realize I have videos in this blog post. 

Anyways, I have not seen Guster in eight years or something. Their newest album is alright, but could do without all the Jesus references. I am stuck in a Two Points for Honesty, Barrel of a Gun and Demons phase. I know I am not alone there. 

Left: Biggest Guster fan I know

Next week will be Guster dedication week and hopefully some shorter posts. That’s manageable, right? I guess that depends on how the Bruins fare.

Happy weekend, all. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment