Monday, January 31, 2011

Looking forward: bracing for snow, real food and rabbits.

Mother Nature must be punishing us for the BP oil spill; a wave of karma in its purest form. The eastern shore is in for another blanket-covering blizzard. This time, however, it will be a one-two punch in terms of timing. Between the two days of snow, accumulation could reach 22 inches in the biggest mid-week storm of winter thus far, according to numerous weather reports. There's nowhere to put the existing snow and the sizable snow banks next to my apartment are getting revamped. I do not mind shoveling, but only when getting a day off from work. Speaking of, I am getting a new shovel and washer fluid tonight. Big things for a Monday. Bring it on, snow.


Anyways, I tried to reserve a spot for Hell Night and it was booked. It sold out in eight minutes. At least that's what the unhappy fellow on the phone told me. I bet he was on the phone for a wild eight minutes. It's like booking a Dispatch show: it sells out before you can attempt to purchase. I really wanted partake in the fiery challenge. It will have to wait until next year. (I did get Dispatch tickets - FYI)


Good news is not hard to find though. This coming weekend I am celebrating Chinese New Year with the girlfriend's family. The New Year is actually on Thursday, but that's how it goes. It's a wonderful (and tasty) tradition. There is more prep work than you could imagine. All the scrumptious dishes are homemade by the girlfriend's mother in an impressive spread including the best bok choy, real egg rolls, real wontons and real beef and broccoli. I'm just name dropping. There is so much more. I use real to distinguish the difference between grease-bucket Chinese food and the real thing. You get it. We are bringing in the Year of the Rabbit in warming company and great family. According to my research, it's the fourth animal in the 12-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac. A joyous occasion awaits.


Then, on Sunday with the crew, we all turn into cheese heads for a few hours with beverages in hand.

Have fun shoveling all, don't pull out your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment