Monday, June 20, 2011

knot just a passing afternoon

With a beautiful blend of Jewish and British traditions -- chalk full of fascinators and hava nagila -- my sister, Samantha, got married this weekend. It encompassed the collective merge of families from both sides of the pond with dear friends in tow, and manifested itself elegantly in Simsbury, CT.  I have never seen my sister so full of joy and nerves. She grabbed my hand before we started to walk and I knew we were all in for something special. She was composed, though, and managed to hold it together. She was a stunning bride. My new brother in law, Adam, is a stand up guy. The ceremony went swimmingly as did the entire wedding. The speeches were humorous and heartfelt. Tears were shed.

What amazed me this weekend was the politeness, love and overall welcoming nature of the new people I met. I speak mainly of the British and some Scottish friends/family who, with open arms, made the experience even more memorable. Learning cultural differences, debating sports, embracing the uniqueness of people when they're in an unfamiliar atmosphere and sliding back a cocktail or two made it special -- well, even more special.

Those are rich iotas in life. The surprises that make an already great experience greater.

Congratulations to Samantha. To Adam. And to believing in the immense power of love.

1 comment:

  1. Great piece Craig. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family on such a joyous occassion. I too, was moved by the hospitality, generosity and warm nature shown by you guys. It was indeed, the perfect wedding!

    Feel free to allow me to return the favour if you ever fancy 'popping over this side of the pond'. Chris.

    ReplyDelete